Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Sewn Illusions Page 2

For the second page in this journal I rubbed gold gel paint on the edge of the page with my finger. The sewn part is a bunch of various scraps stitched with straight and zig zag stitches. I used an alpha set of rubber stamps and white pigment ink for the word colours and embossed with pearl embossing powder and Quietfire design stamp "Art" stamped with white pigment ink embossed with Hemetite embossing powder.

52 Quilts Journal Week 6

The embellishment on the page has a bit of a story. Shortly after we moved in, my daughter was by the stove and we heard a clink. She said a spoon had fallen between the stove and counter. Well we retrieved the spoon, not one of ours and obviously already there and just finished falling. While we were getting the spoon out this pendant was also found under the stove. I used two sample fabrics and added the found pendant. This page was edged with gold gel paint after it was glued to the back of week 5 page.

"Tea" Fat Book Page

I recently finished my contribution to a collaberative book project with members of the Vancouver ATC Group on the theme of tea. For my pages I used tea dyed Distress ink on the paper, then glued images from paper napkins with matt medium. I added a bit of rubber stamping and a small piece of knit lace. There is also a few beads glued to the Lavender napkin image. I made an extra copy just in case so I was able to use it to tip into my assorted paper Zutter Journal. The holes were pre-punched so I wove some ribbon and used brads to hold the page to a cardstock tab in my journal.

This is the back of the page with more rubber stamping and an old coupon from coffee and tea products. The page forms a pocket for a "tea bag" tag with the other "T" technique used.
You can see this journal in my Flickr Photos.

Monday, 25 May 2009

Sewn Illusions 1

Sewn Illusions 1
Originally uploaded by okanagan_spirit
I got this wire bound journal with black pages at a real big discount without knowing what I would do with it, then the I saw this project in Sew Somerset winter 2009 and thought it would be perfect. I used the leftover piece from the paper napkin dryer sheet and stacked several fabric sample pieces together. These were stitched together with black thread in straight and zigzag stitches. The black page was stamped with flower stamps in sage and white pigment ink and the sewn piece was glued down, The buttons and the label from a fabric sample were glued on to finish the page.

52 Quilts Journal Week 5

52 Quilts Day 5
Originally uploaded by okanagan_spirit
I was playing with dripping acrylic ink on to a used dryer sheet a while back, didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, most of the colour went right through to the baby wipe I had underneath. Of course it can't be wasted, so it went into the box of stuff for my 52 Quilts Journal project. I spread matt medium on the dryer sheet then placed scraps of paper napkin over the gel medium. I coated the whole thing with more gel medium and allowed to dry. I used a very pale purple craft felt under the dryer sheet and stitched with white and black thread, stitching on the ribbon as well. The leaves from the napkin image are roughly outlined with straight stitching with the black thread. I am pleased with the results.

Friday, 22 May 2009

May 2009 ATC Swap at The Grind

Sunday was the latest round of swapping at The Grind and I managed to make 11 new ATCs and along with some leftovers I had plenty to swap, which was a good thing because we had a great turn-out despite it being a long weekend. I did a few alcohol ink backgrounds and then scanned them in order to have enough ready in the time I was able to create. I used various sections of a block stamp to create these, in some cases heat embossing. Some are edged with gold and silver leafing pen and some are mounted on black cardstock.
Two of this group use tile stamps from Quietfire Design.

Wednesday, 13 May 2009

First Try With Encaustic Wax

I went to a make and take demo at Cherish The Thought in Port Moody on Sat and was taught this one technique taught for making a photo mat background. This first sample is 4"X5.25" I am hooked on learning more about encaustic wax.

This is the photo I used the encaustic wax mat for.

Later Saturday night I grabbed some ATC sized shiny cardstock and made these using the 2 colours of wax I bought to get started and my small travel iron. Later I will add something to these and turn them into ATCs.

May ATC Swap

"At The Beach"
The first ATC is an alcohol ink background and the rest are scans printed on cardstock. All have been rubber stamped and embellished with shell beads and computer text. The first 2 have a border of gold leafing pen and the last 2 are silver leafing pen.

"Dangerous Waters"
Again the first ATC is alcohol ink on shiny cardstock and the last is scanned and printed on cardstock. I glued clear beads on for bubbles and the text is computer generated. Sorry the background is blurry but the thickness of the stingray toy makes the background go blurry.