Wednesday, 22 April 2009
These are cards I made from a scan of a photocopy of an old photo. I digitally altered the photo from black and white to sepia and printed on HP double-sided matt photo scrapbooking paper, this paper is cotton and has a nice feel to it. The other is printed on acrylic paper. The backs are either painted watercolour paper or alcohol inks on shiny cardstock. The quote stamp is from Quietfire Design and is stamped with sage pigment ink or green Stazon ink. By the way, since at least one person wants to know the one on the right is me.
Sunday, 19 April 2009
Here are the rest of the needle felted ATCs for today's swap in Vancouver. The first set is two free standing needle felted flowers, embellished with beads and stitched onto striped fabric. The other two are needle felted with a template onto the fabric.
The last group are needle felted stripes embellished with buttons and a piece of knotted torn fabric, some of which are coloured with Distress Inks.
My needle felting kit is ready for my demo today, now I better go get me ready, it takes about 90 min. to get into Vancouver by transit.
Saturday, 18 April 2009
The theme for this months swap is stripes so for this set I used a striped ribbon and applied 2 or 3 pieces with double stick tape and added an image layered on cardstock. I added buttons, gold or silver border punch and baby rick rack. The title for this set is "Ribbon Stripes"
This next set doesn't follow the theme, but I did some more needle felting. These are called "Penny Rug Revisit" and are made to resemble the old penny rugs. I am working on more ATCs and will post them later.
Thursday, 9 April 2009
For this little 4"X4" journal I started with coasters and painted out the centre logo, but left the fruit image around the edge. On the back cover I stamped a lime slice and covered the inside of the covers with scrapbook paper. The front cover has another piece of bead soup, taking the colours from the fruit image on the coaster. The pages are watercolour paper coloured with distress inks and the journal is bound with the Zutter Bind-It-All,
Thursday, 2 April 2009
Well I'm finally back to my weekly journal quilt project after doing only 2 pages and then having to move. I plan to keep up with 1 page a week for a total of 52 weeks and use something recycled on each page.
I tried out my first needle felting without using a fabric background and created this flower. Any resemblance to a living flower is accidental, but if you think it looks like a real flower let me know. I had fun with this, the petals are made from Bernat Felting wool yarn. I used a piece a little longer that double the size I wanted the petal to be, fluffed the yarn and folded it in half and needle felted from the fold, leaving a small area at the cut end unfelted. I made 7 petals, overlapped the unfelted ends and needle felted to join into a flower. For the centre I made a small ball of another colour of the yarn and needle felted it to the flower and stitched assorted size beads on. Size 10 seed beads are 3 bead back stitch which also sews the flower to the journal page.
The page back is fabric from a fabric sample book which was saved from being discarded. The background is part of a piece of felt I made many years ago for a long forgotten project. I used more of the Bernat yarn to couch around the brown areas of the felt with magenta nylon thread. The ends of the yarn are needle felted to add interest and prevent them from unravelling.